I had my first flat tyre.
As my mind was full of questions about:
whether it is unfair to ask people to allow you to make mistakes
and grow
and learn
and to forgive each other for being human
and how to break the cycles that otherwise keep repeating
and when is the right time to let go
and does it help if we want to talk things through and other people don’t
and why do these monsters surge forth from our souls and out our mouths
and why can’t we stop it,
I drove into the curb.
Not impossible, with so much going on upstairs.
Not much room for spatial perception with the woes of human relationships on onés shoulders.
So, there I sat.
Suddenly, in the present.
Wholly.
Completely.
And I enjoyed it.
I have never changed a tyre before.
I have watched, but never paid attention.
The challenge was upon me.
It was dark, but not raining.
I found the pieces, in the side of the boot: I found the jack and the winding bits.
I found the spare under the car.
But, what to do?
I called my friend.
He arrived and taught me how to change a tyre.
Such a fundamental and perfectly placed act of humanity.
I changed the tyre, with guidance.
I did it all myself, with guidance.
Such a basic task.
Completed.
Easily and without fuss.
There is a certain strength in kindness.
Simple and undemanding:
Understanding that all we need is kindness,
Which in turn becomes our reason to be kind.
As my mind was full of questions about:
whether it is unfair to ask people to allow you to make mistakes
and grow
and learn
and to forgive each other for being human
and how to break the cycles that otherwise keep repeating
and when is the right time to let go
and does it help if we want to talk things through and other people don’t
and why do these monsters surge forth from our souls and out our mouths
and why can’t we stop it,
I drove into the curb.
Not impossible, with so much going on upstairs.
Not much room for spatial perception with the woes of human relationships on onés shoulders.
So, there I sat.
Suddenly, in the present.
Wholly.
Completely.
And I enjoyed it.
I have never changed a tyre before.
I have watched, but never paid attention.
The challenge was upon me.
It was dark, but not raining.
I found the pieces, in the side of the boot: I found the jack and the winding bits.
I found the spare under the car.
But, what to do?
I called my friend.
He arrived and taught me how to change a tyre.
Such a fundamental and perfectly placed act of humanity.
I changed the tyre, with guidance.
I did it all myself, with guidance.
Such a basic task.
Completed.
Easily and without fuss.
There is a certain strength in kindness.
Simple and undemanding:
Understanding that all we need is kindness,
Which in turn becomes our reason to be kind.
